top of page


  • Bert Pretty and Ray Shantz became partners and purchased what was known in 1954 as Ruch Monuments. Re-naming it Stratford Cemetery Memorials in 1955.

  • In 1959, Ray Shantz sold his half of the company to Jim Shackleton, and it became a limited company changing the name to Stratford Memorials Ltd. Jim became a partner with his father in law, Bert Pretty.

  • In 1970, Bert sold his share to his daughter, Connie Shackleton (Pretty). 

  • Jim & Connie jointly owned Stratford Memorials Ltd.

  • In 1979, after finishing high school, their son Brian began working for his dad.

  • In 1992, Brian became the sole owner of Stratford Memorials Ltd. Brian was a certified Memorialist. Jim and Brian worked together for several years.

  • Jim passed away in 2009

  • Brian's son, Ben began working with him in 2004 and is still employed at Stratford Memorials Ltd.

  • Brian sold the business to Family Memorials in 2011.

  • Brian passed away in 2016. Since his passing, Family Memorials sold Stratford Memorials Ltd. to John-Michael Weber, owner of Superior Stone Kitchener.

  • Stratford Memorials Ltd. will remain open and serve families in their time of need. There are branch offices in Listowel, Exeter, Goderich and Woodstock.

Creating Memories In Stone

bottom of page